BREAST AUGMENTATION (MAMMOPLASTY)
Mammoplasty is an operation designed to increase the size of breasts through the use of implants and is carried out under general anesthetic. It is a cosmetic procedure for those whose breasts are small, or have lost definition after child nursing. Improved physical appearance and enhanced personal confidence are the major benefits of this procedure. Doctor Pat has many years of experience and expertise in Augmentation techniques and prides himself on his knowledge and awareness of new developments in the industry.
Prior to surgery Doctor Pat will consult with prospective patients, to determine expectations and to explain the procedure, including possible after-effects. This will also help the Doctor assess the patients’ suitability for Breast Augmentation Surgery, and advice on likely results.
During the pre-operative consultation, Doctor Pat will explain the possible, though highly unlikely complications that may arise, and which include the risk of infection and bleeding, hardening of the implant over time and implant rupture leading to leakage.
The procedure is carried out either under general anesthetic or under local anesthetic with sedation, meaning that the patient sleeps throughout the operation but recovery time is fast. The Doctor inserts saline or silicone implants into the breasts, either through a small incision around the areola, or in the skin fold beneath the breast or under the armpit.
The implant consists of an outer shell silicone “balloon” that contains either a saline or silicone content. Depending on the existing breast condition, the implant may be inserted under, or above the pectoral muscle, and this will determine the best incision location.
The preferred implant material and the optimum incision location will vary from person to person, and will be agreed in consultation between Doctor Pat and the client prior to the operation.
Support bandages are wrapped around the breasts and patients should then return to the clinic 5 - 6 days after surgery for examination. Mild pain and discomfort may be experienced post-operation, for which prescription pain medication can be used.
Patients will be shown massage techniques designed to avoid hardening of the implants and to ensure the breasts maintain a natural softness.
For additional information on Breast surgery and implant technology please consult the following links:
Breast Implants, Breast Augmentation, Mammoplasty
Some female patients may have flat or small breasts, or may be different in size. This problem can be solving by breast implants, the popularly used material is the silicone Implants (balloon sheath with normal saline or silicone content). The alternative procedure is fat transfer from the other place of the body to breast.
The Silicone implants is the balloon made from multiple layers silicone sheath with single lumen or double lumen (spaces), in single lumen the content may be normal saline or silicone gel or other materials. In double lumen implant, the content are normal saline and silicone gel.
The operative site:
1. Areolar , the wound will be around areolar
2. Inframammary, the wound will be below the breast (at skin fold)
3. Axilarry, the wound will be at the axillar
4. Other, Endoscopic approach.
The implant place;
1. Submammary. The implant is place under the breast tissue, above muscle.
2. Subpectoral. The implant is place under the pectoralis major muscle, above pectoralis minor and rib.
Type of Implants;
The implants is a balloon which outer shell made from silicone sheath(Multi-layers) and the content is as follows;
1.The saline content. Because it is physiologic solution, it will be safe in case of leakage. The patients who worried about carcinoma were mostly accepted this type of implant. But the chance of leakage is quite high in a few years, and the patient could not tolerate single breast. However, there are two ways to solve this problem. If the patient decided to replace the leakage one with the same type of implant, it may leak again and there is no guarantee what will happen on the other side. If the patient decided to replace the leakage implant with the other type (silicone), they will have to replace the implant in the other side as well.
2. The silicone gel content. This type of implant is very popular; many studies claimed that it is safe and widely used. In my experience I never found rupture in the patient body spontaneously and no side effect. No cancer found.
There are many types of external surface of implants;
- smooth surface
- Polyurethane foam coated mammary implants
Many shapes of implants
- tear drops
3. Double lumen, one lumen is silicone gel and the other is saline content filled during the operation, the problem will be the same as saline implant.
Complication and unwanted effects that may be occur;
1. Bad results; bad shape, malposition (misplace), size (oversize or undersize), scar, not equal size.
4. Capsular Contraction, the breast hardened later in months or years.
5. Capsular rupture and content leakage.
6. Other; risk from anesthesia, drug allergy, underlying diseases.
Preparations for an operation
1. Abstain from food and water for at least six hours prior to the service.
2. Bath shampoo wash thoroughly.
3. Avoid using certain drugs that can affect surgical painkillers such as aspirin, vitamins, supplements at least 7 days prior to surgery.
4. Avoid surgery during menstruation.
5. In cases of illness or allergies to certain medications, let your surgeon know first.
6. No worries. Try to relax because our breast augmentation surgery is safe.
New, Sign up for view before - after photos
Member, Sign in for view before - after photos or